Slow Cooker Pot Roast Soup
Total recipe time: High Setting: 6 hours and 15 minutes; Low Setting: 9 hours and 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings
- 1 boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast (2-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with green peppers and onions, undrained
- 1 cup frozen hash brown potatoes (cubes)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups broccoli slaw
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Cut beef pot roast into 12 equal pieces. Place in 4-1/2 to 5-1/2-quart slow cooker. Add onions, tomatoes, potatoes, broth, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 to 6 hours, or on LOW 8 to 9 hours, or until beef is fork-tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.)
- Stir in broccoli slaw; continue cooking, covered, 30 minutes or until broccoli slaw is crisp-tender. Turn off slow cooker. Stir in peas; let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutrition information per serving: 295 calories; 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat; 4 g monounsaturated fat); 100 mg cholesterol; 686 mg sodium; 20 g carbohydrate; 3.6 g fiber; 35 g protein; 4.3 mg niacin; 0.5 mg vitamin B6; 3.2 mcg vitamin B12; 5.3 mg iron; 33.3 mcg selenium; 8.7 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
Conventional Range-Top Variation: Increase beef broth to 1 can (13-3/4 to 14-1/2 ounces). Cut beef pot roast into 12 equal pieces. Place in stockpot. Add onions, tomatoes, broth, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender. Stir in broccoli slaw and potatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, uncovered, 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender and broccoli slaw is crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Stir in peas; let stand 5 minutes.
Fully-Cooked Pot Roast (Range-Top) Variation: Substitute 2 packages (17 ounces each) refrigerated fully-cooked boneless beef pot roast with gravy or au jus for beef chuck shoulder pot roast. Remove beef pot roast from containers; reserve 1/2 cup gravy or au jus. Place reserved gravy or au jus, onions, potatoes, broth, garlic, 1/2 to 1 teaspoon thyme, salt and pepper in stockpot; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until potatoes are just tender. Meanwhile, trim fat from beef pot roast; cut into 12 equal pieces. Stir in beef pieces, tomatoes and broccoli slaw; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; continue simmering, covered, 13 to 15 minutes or until broccoli slaw is crisp-tender and beef is heated through. (Stir in small amount of water to achieve desired soup consistency, if necessary.) Remove from heat. Stir in peas; let stand 5 minutes.
Reviewed by Anonymous on 10/26/12
What are hash brown cubes?