- 1 pound beef shoulder top blade (flat iron) steaks
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 4 pita breads, cut crosswise in half, warmed
- Tomato and sweet onion slices
- 1 cup plain lowfat yogurt
- 1/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1 large glove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine yogurt sauce ingredients in small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Combine oregano and garlic; press evenly onto beef steaks. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Place steaks in skillet; cook 11 to 14 minutes for medium rare to medium doneness, turning twice.
- Carve steaks into thin slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve beef in pita pockets with tomatoes, onion and yogurt sauce.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Beef Shoulder Top Blade (Flat Iron) Steaks come from the second most tender beef muscle. They are cut from the Top Blade Roast (IMPS/NAMP 114D), which is separated into two pieces by cutting horizontally through the middle to remove the thick connective tissue. Each half resembles a small flank steak. These pieces are then cut crosswise into 2 to 3 individual steaks. They average 8 ounces.
Reviewed by Anonymous on 8/13/11
Excellent easy home gyro recipe, no left overs and there was just two of us.