Total recipe time: 25 to 30 minutes
Makes 4 servings
- 1 pound ground beef (95% lean)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 package (10 to 12 ounces) iceberg or romaine salad mix (lettuce, red cabbage, carrots)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn, defrosted, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese, (optional)
- 1/2 cup prepared reduced-fat or fat-free ranch dressing
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup Crunchy Tortilla Strips (recipe follows) or crushed baked tortilla chips (optional)
- Brown ground beef with garlic in large nonstick skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef up into 1/2-inch crumbles. Pour off drippings, if necessary. Stir in water, chili powder and cumin; cook and stir 1 minute to blend flavors. Cool slightly.
- Place salad mix, beef, tomato, beans, corn and cheese, if desired, in large bowl with lid. Top with dressing; close lid securely or cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Shake gently to combine. Top with tortilla strips, if desired.
Crunchy Tortilla Strips: Cut 2 corn tortillas in half, then crosswise into ¼-inch-wide strips. Place strips in single layer on baking sheet. Spray tortilla strips lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake 4 to 8 minutes at 400ºF or until crisp.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Nutrition information per serving: 286 calories; 9 g fat (9 g saturated fat; 3 g monounsaturated fat); 3 mg cholesterol; 568 mg sodium; 22 g carbohydrate; 4.4 g fiber; 29 g protein; 7.3 mg niacin; 0.4 mg vitamin B6; 2.3 mcg vitamin B12; 4.6 mg iron; 18.2 mcg selenium; 6.2 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
To make single servings, place 1-1/2 cups salad mix, about 2/3 cup beef mixture, 1/4 cup tomato, 2 tablespoons beans, 2 tablespoons corn and 2 tablespoons cheese, if desired, in small bowl with lid. Top with 2 tablespoons dressing; close lid securely. Shake gently to combine. Top with tortilla strips, if desired.